(6 of 18)
78 Sankey Street, Warrington, WA1 1SG.
Opened Jul 1913. Closed 1916.
1 screen. 500 seats.
Originally built as a hall for the Victorian Conservative Club, by July 1913 it was operating as the Central Picture Palace. It was also used as a dance hall at one time.
Located above Hewitt’s furniture store opposite the former Dawsons in Sankey Street, it opened on Saturdays for children’s matinees. Admission was tuppence or two clean jam jars. It was closed in the 1960s.
The entrance to the cinema has since been Marshall’s restaurant, later Jeniric’s Chinese Restaurant, and is now occupied by Agave Rum Bar.
Contributed by Ken Roe. Additional information by Gordon Gandy.