Culcheth Linear Park lies on a section of the former Wigan to Glazebrook Railway Line.
Information provided by Warrington Borough Council
Additional information, photos and captions Copyright © Gordon I Gandy
The Wigan to Glazebrook line was constructed by a consortium of rail companies including the LNER and Great Central. It first opened to goods in 1878. After a short extension linking the line to Wigan Central Station was built, the first passenger train ran in 1884, calling at Glazebrook, Lowton St Mary and Culcheth.
In 1939 Newchurch Halt was built to service the naval camp sited in Culcheth. A railway line extension ran into the Royal Ordnance Factory at Risley, which closed after the War.
After the war years there was a national decline in railway use leading to the infamous Lord Beeching Report of 1964, which indicated the unprofitability of many branch lines. The Culcheth line was no exception and finally closed on 22 April 1968.
The original west-bound platform
The railway lay derelict until 1974 when Warrington Borough Council acquired a section of the line and undertook initial landscaping works.
In 1983 the Ranger Service took over management of the site and continues the development of the park. The Ranger Cabin is located on the site of the old station.
Culcheth Linear Park is an area of natural countryside, a place to relax or take a closer look at nature. Look out for the Jay (bird), Speckled Wood butterfly, Knapweed (a plant), Water Vole, Fly Agaric (a poisonous mushroom) and the Common Dog Violet.
The bridge above is a footbridge over the railway
Back inside the park now.
And now Warrington Green goes black and white
(click for a manual slideshow)
Back to colour for an automated slideshow.
And here’s your’s truly planning the next bit of research…
From Culcheth village centre turn left by the Cherry Tree pub into Wigshaw Lane. After 500m turn right by the park entrance signs and follow a short road to the car park and Ranger cabin.
The Ranger Cabin at Culcheth is equipped with a ramp and has extra wide doors for ease of access to view displays and obtain leaflets. Although control gates preventing motorbikes have been installed, these are fitted with RADAR locks enabling wheelchair and electric/mobility cars to use the site.
The main track and other paths are constructed of rolled stone or shale.
See Warrington Borough Council’s website for latest information on opening times and facilities.
Check with Warrington’s Own Buses for up-to-date information on bus timetables.